Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I still post about rap music, too

Funny-'cuz-it's-true observation from the Onion AV Club's Nathan Rabin:
In my review of Memphis Bleek’s surprisingly not-terrible newish album I compared Bleek to an unpopular kid whose birthday parties are well-attended solely because the popular kids are hoping to catch a glimpse of his famous father. Jay-Z’s new verse on the remix to Kanye West’s "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" takes this idea even further. "Bleek could be one hit away his whole career, as long as I’m alive he’s a millionaire/and even if I die he’s in my will somewhere, so he can just kick back and chill somewhere" Jay-Z raps and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t sound like S. Carter is essentially saying "I know none of you kids like my loser son Memphis Bleek but he’s still daddy’s special little man and even if none of you want to play with him I’m still buying him a pony and a go-kart and the new PS2 so you can all [go] screw yourself. I’m all the friends he needs. Gosh, thanks pops.

No comments: