Thursday, June 15, 2006

Loose ends and corrections and follow-ups...

  • T.I.'s King has officially overtaken Ghostface's Fishscale as my favorite record of 2006. Of course it is early yet...

  • At War with the Mystics fell off my turntable pretty quickly after my initial infatuation. Its Prince/Pink Floyd/Yes jamminess is still appealing and I still love "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion" and "Mr. Ambulance Driver" and several others, but I have been less & less able to make it through "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" or "It Overtakes Me" or yes "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song."

  • No significant change in my warm feelings toward Gnarls Barkley, but I did find out sometime after I posted the review that "Gone Daddy Gone" is a cover of a Violent Femmes song. How about that...

  • My New Year's resolution has suffered the fate of every New Year's resolution ever. I learned a few artists' names, found out that I like Gretchen Wilson a lot and that is pretty much as far as I got... Though I didn't really think the Dixie Chicks' new album is that great (and not as good as its lead single), so maybe I am a true country fan at heart...

4 comments:

haahnster said...

The Violent Femmes' self-titled debut LP should be required listening for everyone that's at least 14 years old. It captures that whole teen-angst thing as well or better than *anything* else before or since (An inexcusable omission from Rolling Stone's "Top 500" Albums.)

"Gone Daddy Gone" is a great song, as are all of the other songs from side 2 of that LP ("Prove My Love", "Promise", "To the Kill", and "Good Feeling"). There's much more to the Femmes than "Blister in the Sun", "Kiss Off", and the "Why can't I get just one fuck?" of "Add It Up".

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Jake said...

I knew I recognized the song. I gave up and figured it was just one of those songs that sounds like you've heard it before. Makes much more sense now.

mat said...

Country boy?? Yeeeee Hawww!

JM said...

I am just glad to see that you came to your sense regarding the Lips and Country music. Go back to the ghetto where you belong.