Thursday, February 14, 2008

No love for the Wausau Daily Herald

I got to listen in on yesterday's Obama conference call with David Plouffe and Gov. Doyle (my story here) but I did not get to ask my question. Participants were required to press a complex series of touch-tones in order to get queued up to ask questions, and I strongly suspect the queue-order was rigged in order to disenfranchise me. I mean, Jonathan Alter of Newsweek got to ask his question. Reporters from Time and USA Today got to ask their questions. But not me, oh nooooooo, not the cub reporter from the Wausau Daily Herald. I had to call a campaign spokesman afterward to get the non-answers I was looking for.

So if I can be a little bit catty for a moment, let me just say that Jonathan Alter of Newsweek asked a really silly question. He asked Gov. Doyle, who has endorsed Obama, what role Bill Clinton would play in the Wisconsin primary. This is a weird thing to ask because a.) Bill Clinton has no scheduled campaign stops in Wisconsin and b.) Doyle has nothing to do with the Clinton campaign so how should he know?

I suppose he could have been fishing for some Clinton-bashing, but to me it seemed like a wasted question. Not saying every question I've ever asked has been brilliant! Just saying, you know, that dude is a famous journalist who goes on TV and stuff, and that was the best he could do. Just saying...

[xpost What's Your Beef]

3 comments:

the cold cowboy said...

Alter's a hack! Down with Alter!

stridewideman said...

Well. After all, Alter's job is to follow controversy, not to cover the actual policy positions candidates have upon which people may vote.

That would be useful, but not tittilating.

So, actually, all of Alter's ilk are hacks, while the accomplished cub reporter whose list was probably worthwhile was our bastion of fact-based, newsworthy reporting.

"Down with entertainment reporting in the political sector!" is such a lame slogan tho'....

Anonymous said...

maybe next time: use the vernacular of professional dog racing?