Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chris Matthews sings a song

In case you missed it -- and it would be hard to have missed his smiling mug -- Chris Matthews is profiled as the cover story in the New York Times Magazine. If you haven't already read it, you must. It may only serve to confirm whatever suspicions you already harbored about the affable but self-aggrandizing, sometimes pompous talking head.

I was unsure whether my impression of him as both endearing and repellent was an inward idiosyncratic misunderstanding, or other people felt it too. Well with his ratings down, NBC quietly trying to show him the door, and this searing cover story, apparently I'm not alone. I still bias towards his show during the 6pm news block, even while randomly surfing between news channels during commercials.

This excerpt is illustrative:
“I know why he wants you on,” Matthews said to [actress Kerry] Washington while looking at Griffin. At which point Matthews did something he rarely does. He paused. He seemed actually to be considering what he was about to say. He might even have been editing himself, which is anything but a natural act for him. He was grimacing. I imagined a little superego hamster racing against a speeding treadmill inside Matthews’s skull, until the superego hamster was overrun and the pause ended.

“He wants you on because you’re beautiful,” Matthews said. “And because you’re black.” He handed Washington a business card and told her to call anytime “if you ever want to hang out with Chris Matthews.”

1 comment:

Rob said...

"Endearing and repellant" is a fine way to put it. There is something I like about Chris Matthews. His laugh is funny, and his sometimes-dadaist style can be engaging. But he is also totally clueless! Utterly un-self-aware! So I guess there you have it...

Also, Kerry Washington is hot. I would happily give her my card in case she ever wants to hang out with Rob Mentzer...