Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"Lollipop" is the summer song, people

The song-of-the-summer sweepstakes is on. I know it is early, but I believe it is time that we all just accept that "Lollipop" is probably it.

Look, it's not my favorite single from the Tha Carter III, either, but a.) it is omnipresent enough to qualify as a song-of-the-summer, b.) Lil Wayne has the top-selling album of the year, and c.) it is a damn sight better than the rest of the contenders. ... I will tell you right now that New Kids on the Block does not have the 2008 song of the summer.

"Bleeding Love" is pretty good but not very summery. As for "Take a Bow," it is okay but it is really no "Umbrella" -- too slow, for one thing -- and besides I am pretty sure you are not allowed to have two songs-of-the-summer in a row... So partly by process of elimination, I am placing my bet on "Lollipop" for this year.

1 comment:

Saxdrop said...

Do you think Lollipop's minimalism might preclude it from "Summer Jam 08?" I feel like the difficulty of creating a Summer hit is to keep it airy and light but still have some measure of drama and lusciousness in the production.

"Umbrella" accomplished the former through its lyrics and beat and the latter through extensive string and keys work.