Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Obama ipod: Songs that mention Barack Obama

I have been sort of trying to collect musical references to Obama, preferably those not made by will.i.am. Here is my partial list, please add to it in comments:
  • The newest one, a very cool Afrobeat-style song about Barack Obama by Cody ChesnuTT

  • Nas's DJ Green Lantern-produced mixtape track "Black President" weaves in clips from Obama speeches and "Yes we can" in the chorus.

  • The great reggae song by Cocoa Tea called "Barack Obama" -- "It is not Hillary Clinton/ And it is not John McCain/ It is not Chuck Norris/ And I know it's not John Wayne."

  • "Work to Do" by Kidz in the Hall with Talib Kweli and Bun B is an Obama tribute song.

  • I haven't collected them, but I know Jay-Z has made a couple of Obama references lately in freestyles and guest verses.

  • Juelz Santana mentioned Obama back on the "Black Republican" mixtape track with Lil Wayne -- "Young Barack Obama, I'm all for it"

  • Common's "The People" from last summer -- "My raps ignite the people like Obama"

  • And it's not a song, but still very good, DJ Drama has lately been calling himself "Barack Odrama."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's also get silly by v.i.c. that references him

Anonymous said...

also kanye west's part in forever by Drake