Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My problems

One thing about owning a house is that you are responsible for all the mysterious sounds in the pipes and so on. I am not bad at fixing things and I am gaining experience. The toilet I can handle, that is a simple mechanical device, you can see all the pieces. The radiator that clicks a little bit is probably not a big deal, I think, although who knows? But the squeaky pipe that sounds like a bird chirping through the night, that I do not care for. The chirp is quiet enough to sleep through, not a bother really, but I still notice it. I ask myself, could I fix this? How would I even begin to try to fix this?

Beginning Friday, I have 10 days in a row off work, the longest break I have had since I moved to Wausau in July 2007. In fact, I have not even had 7 consecutive days off in that time. I am nervous about it for some reason. I'm afraid I'll find I don't have any outside interests, or something. Having time off work is really not a reasonable thing to be worried about, is it? But there you go.

1 comment:

stridewideman said...

That is always a concern. To discover that work has actually become your own way of self-definition, that in fact without work, there may be no self...

Good luck. Hope you don't disappear.

Tips: plan things to do, or prepare to relax in to drink for much of the first several days...