Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Best Music of 2008

I have not been so unprepared to make my year-end lists in several years. If I listened to a little less music this year than I did in 2007 or 2006, the reason is simple: This year, when the contest for my attention was between music and politics, politics almost always won. And the election, you'll recall, lasted all goddamn year.

Still, I feel pretty good about the lists I've put together here, even if I will be hearing new 2008 music well into 2009. One note: I put Vampire Weekend songs on last year's list, so I only included them on the albums list this time around. With that, on with the show...

Songs

20. Guilty Simpson, "The American Dream"
19. T.I. feat. Rihanna, "Live Your Life"
18. Re-Up Gang, "Bring it Back"
17. R. Kelly, "Skin"
16. Beyonce, "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)"
14. Rihanna, "Disturbia"
14. T.I. feat. Kanye West, Jay Z and Lil Wayne, "SLU (Swagger Like Us)"
13. Guns N' Roses, "Catcher in the Rye"
12. Kanye West, "Heartless"
11. Metro Station, "Shake It"
10. Radiohead, "Nude (Chopped & Screwed Remix)"
9. Lupe Fiasco feat. Young Jeezy and T.I., "Superstar (Remix)"
8. Big Boi feat. Andre 3000 and Raekwon, "Royal Flush"
7. Gaslight Anthem, "High Lonesome"
6. Randy Newman, "A Few Words in Defense of Our Country" (Album version)
5. Kanye West, "Love Lockdown"
4. Hold Steady, "Sequestered in Memphis"
3. Lil Wayne "A Milli"
2. The Roots, "Get Busy"
1. Young Jeezy feat. Kanye West, "Put On"


Albums

12. Rich Boy, Bigger than the Mayor
11. TV on the Radio, Dear Science
10. Guns N’ Roses, Chinese Democracy
9. Girl Talk, Feed the Animals
8. Hold Steady, Stay Positive
7. Kanye West, 808s and Heartbreak
6. Randy Newman, Harps and Angels
5. Young Jeezy, The Recession
4. Re-Up Gang, We Got it 4 Cheap Vol. 3
3. Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend
2. Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III
1. Gaslight Anthem, The ’59 Sound

*

Thoughts? Picks?

4 comments:

jdye said...

Dude, well done with the Hold Steady and Gaslight Anthem...someone's been having a little Boss nostalgia (and there's nothing wrong with that).

Blaster said...

Cool year plan Dud!

For me music always wins. This year I am gonna start one of my old hobbies..painting.

Last two years I did not bother to paint nor have GF. This year, I hope, I will look for a really sweet GF.

Blaster said...

Mistakenly typed Dud; Sorry Man! I should be careful.

Hi Dude!

" A Very Happy New Year - 2009 "

Rob said...

Happy new year to you too! I think if you take up painting, it will get easier to find a sweet GF, too, so good luck with all that!