Sunday, January 18, 2009

Watchmen

Watchmen Watchmen by Alan Moore


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Critically acclaimed, but don't hold that against it! I didn't like "V for Vendetta" -- too simple, too much faith in violence -- and part of me expected not to like this book, either. But, no. This is good stuff. The layers work together, good art, there is action and reflection and the characters change. My friend said this story is so carefully composed as to be claustrophobic, and there is some truth to that. But it's also a fine puzzle, part detective story, part metaphysical exploration, part paranoid Cold War dystopian fable.

Also, I don't think this is an anti-superhero book. Some of the heroes are villains, that's true, but some are heroes, and a lot of the "super" is very super indeed.

Another good thing about this book: A lot of scenes take place in Antarctica, and I am totally into Antarctica lately.

View all my reviews.

No comments: