Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hannah Montana vs. Radiohead!

On the heels of the super-awesome discussion of the Wayne Coyne vs. Win Butler mini-beef, I feel like I should follow up with some thoughts on the even more unlikely Miley Cyrus vs. Radiohead mini-beef.

I think I am going to side with Miley Cyrus on this one.

It seems to me the basic shape of what happened is that Cyrus wanted to meet Radiohead backstage at the Grammys, and they didn't want to meet her. So then she publicly pouted about it ("I'm going to ruin them, I'm going to tell everyone"), and then a Radiohead spokesman released the drippingly condescending statement that "When Miley grows up, she'll learn not to have a sense of entitlement."

But is sense of entitlement the right term? The way she presents it, Cyrus wanted to meet the band because she was a fan. She wasn't demanding that they play at her super-sweet 16th birthday party. Honestly: She was at the Grammys, they were at the Grammys -- is it really such an unreasonable request to ask that maybe Radiohead walks over and shakes Hannah Montana's hand?

Doesn't it seem more like Thom Yorke & co. wanting to pretend that they aren't really celebrity rockstar royalty and therefore shouldn't have to engage in schmoozing protocol? But in that case, why be at the Grammys in the first place?

3 comments:

stridewideman said...

This seems dramatically more unpleasent then I can picture Thom Yorke being. I'm sure this decision was made by Johnny Greenwood, who is so obviously a serial killer it's a wonder he hasn't been arrested while on tour (for proof, listen to the soundtrack he composed for "There Will Be Blood"; if that's not obviously the work of a deranged mind, I don't know what is).

Anyway, you can kind of see her throwing a tantrum backstage and RH not being interested. Her reaction seems pretty hysterical.

I'd chalk this one up to "not enough info".

Rob said...

Spoilsport.

But you are probably right about Greenwood. I still remember the description of him in Alex Ross's 2001 New Yorker piece about the band (can't believe I just googled it on my first try!) as someone who is super-smart and "can talk at length about almost any topic under the sun -- Belgian fashion; the stories of John Cheever; the effect of different types of charcoal on barbecued meat..."

If that is not the description of a man concealing a heart of darkness, I don't know what is...

the cold cowboy said...

miley can't ever win a spat that ended with her saying "i'm going to ruin them." radiohead statement? condescending, sure. but "i'm going to ruin them" is something only an "un-grown-up" would say. so eff her. so what if she was a fan? who does she think she is? a band doesn't meet with you for whatever reason, and at worst it's a dick move. but throw that kind of a tantrum and you definitely look worse... and entitled as shit.

also, schmoozing sucks.