Monday, June 15, 2009

I visit Carl Sandburg in a dream

Last week I found myself in Galesburg, Ill., where I decided to visit the birthplace of Carl Sandburg. I like the "Chicago Poems" and "The People, Yes," and I also like that one Sufjan Stevens song involving Carl Sandburg, so it was worth it. I haven't read Sandburg's Lincoln biographies but I like that he wrote them.

The birthplace is exactly what you would expect but I was glad I went there. Then, for reasons I do not fully understand I bought two 50-cent reproductions of his manuscript pages. I am not going to frame them; I guess I will put them in a folder or something.

One is the famous "Hog butcher to the world" poem. The other is just a quote from a Lincoln speech, which I like because I think it fits our Internet age:

If you cannot read the image, it says:
From Lincoln's message to
Congress Dec. 1, 1862
In times like the present
men should utter nothing
for which they would not
willingly be responsible
through time and eternity.

No comments: