Tuesday, July 14, 2009

J Smooth on Michael Jackson

J Smooth on Michael Jackson:
On the night Michael died I went to 125th Street to join in with the spontaneous memorial that jumped off in front of the the Apollo. And the scene I found there fascinated me because it was this mix of powerful human emotion and bizzaro media circus at the same time. ... After awhile I started to feel like we were all caught up in this collective ritual of trying to process our own grief by making media out of it. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. But I couldn't help thinking how this mix of deep human connection and weird media circus was a perfect metaphor for Michael's career.

1 comment:

Saxdrop said...

wow, that last line is perhaps the most insightful thing Ive heard on this topic so far. Of course it is something of a meta-comment, since it required the media circus to roll through town first.