I agree with my friend Mike that Pitchfork's list of the top 500 singles of the aughts is very strong, and in fact I find myself nodding more vigorously the lower the numbers get. Pitchfork's #1 choice is perfect and actually the whole top 10 or 20 are a nice, varied list. There are a lot of songs there I adore like "Get Ur Freak On" and "Idioteque."
But it's no fun to read someone else's list unless you can argue about it. Using this site's list as a simpler way to scroll through the rankings, here are some quibbles I came up with...
Songs not on the list that should be:
- Spoon, "I Turn My Camera On"
- Kanye West, "Can't Tell Me Nothing." Everybody likes "Flashing Lights" off Graduation but I like this one.
- The Hold Steady, "Your Little Hoodrat Friend"
- Bright Eyes, "Old Soul Song (For the New World Order)"
- Clipse feat. Pharrell, "Mr. Me Too"
- The Dixie Chicks, "Not Ready to Make Nice"
- The Hold Steady, "Chips Ahoy!" Beats "Stuck Between Stations" in my book.
- R. Kelly feat. T.I. and T-Pain, "I'm a Flirt (Remix)" Not better than "Ignition," I agree, but pretty great.
- Young Jeezy feat. Kanye West, "Put On" !
- Justin Timberlake, "SexyBack" !!
- Eminem, "Stan" !!!
Songs that are on the list but are undervalued:
- Rich Boy feat. Polow da Don, "Throw Some Ds" (351)
- Loretta Lynn feat. Jack White, "Portland, Oregon" (305) Top 100 at least, right?
- Three 7 Mafia, "Sippin' on Some Syrup" (222) A classic.
- Britney Spears, "Toxic" (141)
- Kelis, "Milkshake" (113) On my list "Toxic" beats "Milkshake" but both probably break into the top 50.
- UGK feat. Outkast, "Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)" (43) Top-ten material for me.
Songs that are on the list but are overvalued:
- Daft Punk, "One More Time" (5).
- Animal Collective, "My Girls" (9). I like Animal Collective but to me they are about a groove, not any single song.
- Antony and the Johnsons- "Hope There's Someone" (28).
- Dr. Dre feat. Eminem, "Forgot About Dre" (68). Great song, but it's ranked as the best Eminem song of the decade, which it is not.
- Kylie Minogue, "Love at First Sight" (208). Sure, "Can't Get You Out of My Head" is a great single of the decade. But this one is strictly an also-ran.
My overall score on the cool-o-meter: 246 out of 500. A lot of artists I sort of know about but never actually listened to. What's your score?
Streak of songs I recognized: 21 in a row -- from 69 to 49. The fact that I never bothered to listen to the Knife or Hercules and Love Affair messed me up in the top 20.
UPDATE [8/26 11:40pm] ... VERY IMPORTANT! I just realized the list contains the absolutely inexplicable and unforgivable omission of "Shooter" by Lil Wayne. INSANE. That is all.