Monday, September 28, 2009

Is Eliot Spitzer reformed yet?


OK, just thinking out loud here. But compared to John Edwards, Mark Sanford, John Ensign and Michael Duvall, Spitzer is, like, practically a model husband and father. In fact, the politician whose transgressions Spitzer's resemble most is Sen. David Vitter -- and Vitter still has his job.

So let's consider. Health care is almost certainly going to take the rest of this year. That means reform of the financial system is very likely to spill over into 2010. And even if/when new financial system regulations are enacted, presumably there's going to have to be someone to oversee their enforcement. Isn't there some potential spot in for Spitzer in all this? In certain respects he seems like the most qualified person for a job like that, no?

I get that Spitzer's self-righteousness as a prosecutor made his fall from grace more dramatic. Still. I don't see why he has to be done with public life forever. At what point plausibly could Spitzer return to public life, do you suppose?

2 comments:

Saxdrop said...

well he's certainly acting like he's reformed. He's been doing lots of media, he has a generally well-regarded (if to my mind somewhat self-righteous Slate column), and even earned what may be one of the highest compliments in my circle: Tyler Cowen, after doing a radio show with him, remarked to me "I was actually quite impressed with how smart he is."

stridewideman said...

God, I love him. I can't help myself. His self-righteousness comes from all the goddamn excellent things he's done. Of course, it would be better if he could keep his junk to himself, but then again, there are lots of really excellent folks who have done a lot of good who had similar problems.

To be clear, Vitter isn't one of them.