Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Robert Mentzer's Certified Finest Musicks of the Aughts: 50+ songs & 35 albums

Well, this certainly was a lot of work, and almost certainly not worth the effort. Please argue your own point of view vehemently, quibble with my rankings shamelessly and nominate your own most slept-on favorites! That will make it all worthwhile.

SONGS

Honorable mentions: Beyonce, "Irreplaceable"; Rich Boy feat. Polow da Don, "Throw Some Ds"; Christina Aguilera, "Ain't No Other Man"; Bright Eyes, "Old Soul Song (For the New World Order)"; M.I.A. feat. Bun B and Rich Boy, "Paper Planes (Diplo Remix)"; Burial, "Archangel"; Crooked Fingers, "New Drink for the Old Drunk"; Kanye West, "Can't Tell Me Nothing; Loretta Lynn feat. Jack White, "Portland, Oregon"; Jay-Z, "Dirt Off My Shoulder"

50. Jay-Z, "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"
You could have been anywhere in the world tonight, but you're here with me. I appreciate that.

49. Amy Winehouse, "Rehab"
Great song, though pretty sad and hard to listen to knowing what we know now.

48. Rihanna, "Russian Roulette"

47. Radiohead, "Nude"

46. Justin Timberlake, "My Love"

45. Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy"

44. Usher, "Yeah"

43. Franz Ferdinand, "Take Me Out"

42. Missy Elliott, "Work It"

41. LCD Soundsystem, "All My Friends"

40. Brad Paisley, "Then"

39. R. Kelly feat. T.I. and T-Pain, "I'm a Flirt (Remix)"
Let me remind you that I am the king of R&B.

38. Lupe Fiasco, "Kick, Push"

37. The Dixie Chicks, "Not Ready to Make Nice"

36. The Gaslight Anthem, "High Lonesome"

35. Jay-Z, "Takeover"
One of the great battle raps in rap history.

34. Outkast, "Bombs Over Baghdad"

33. Kanye West, "Stronger"

32. Kylie Minogue, "Can't Get You Out of My Head"

31. The Roots, "Get Busy"
I just love Questo's drums on this track.

30. Three 7 Mafia, "Sippin' on Some Syrup"
I eat so many shrimp, I got iodine poisoning.

29. The Hold Steady, "Your Little Hoodrat Friend"

28. Spoon, "The Way We Get By"

27. Britney Spears, "Toxic"

26. Wilco, "Jesus Etc."

25. Young Jeezy feat. Kanye West, "Put On"

24. Dizzee Rascal, "Fix Up, Look Sharp"

23. Mike Jones feat. Paul Wall & Slim Thug, "Still Tippin’"
I had them play this song at my wedding reception, at night after the grandparents had gone home. Badass driving music has never been so relaxed.

22. Brad Paisley, "Alcohol"
Sung from the perspective of alcohol!

21. Rihanna, "Umbrella"

20. Lil Wayne "A Milli"

19. Outkast, "Hey Ya"
An obscure, little-heard track, but I thought I'd include it here just to confuse people.

18. Dr. Dre feat. Eminem, "Forgot About Dre"

17. R. Kelly, "Ignition (Remix)"
"After the show, it's the after-party. After the party it's the hotel lobby." This song also, if I'm not mistaken, introduced the favorite Kells habit of announcing that you are listening to a remix version.

16. Lil Wayne, "Shooter"

15. Sufjan Stevens, "The World's Columbian Exposition/Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream"

14. Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone"

13. Kanye West, "Gold Digger"
One of pop music's greatest exercises in disingenuousness. "I'm not saying she's a gold digger..." Really? What are you saying, then, Kanye?

12. Justin Timberlake, "SexyBack"

11. Beyonce feat. Jay-Z, "Crazy in Love"

10. The White Stripes, "Seven Nation Army"
Going to Wichita, to work the straw.

9. The Hold Steady, "Chips Ahoy!"

8. Eminem, "Stan"
One of the great story-songs ever, with beginning, middle and end. And, as has been pointed out, it's the only love song on the Marshall Mathers LP.

7. Radiohead, "Idioteque"

6. Flaming Lips, "Do You Realize?"

5. Outkast, "Ms. Jackson"

4. Jay-Z, "99 Problems"

3. Modest Mouse, "Float On"
One of my personal favorite songs, and I think still the most frequently played songs in my iTunes library. Drifter pop with an optimistic twist.

2. UGK feat. Outkast, "Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)"

1. Missy Elliott, "Get Ur Freak On"
Released in 2001, this is the song that announced the new millennium. And while this decade did not exactly turn out the way it should have, this is still the sound of how things could have gone. And it's a weird pop masterpiece. The Timbaland beat is masterfully multicultural, and Missy does a start-stop rapping thing that is just ... impressive. This is future music, still.


ALBUMS

35. Fugazi, The Argument
34. Three 6 Mafia, Most Known Unknown
33. Madvillain, Madvillainy
32. Josh Rouse, 1972
31. Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III
30. Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29. Outkast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
28. Sufjan Stevens, Illinois
27. Brian Wilson, Smile
26. Kanye West, Late Registration
25. Arctic Monkeys, Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not
24. UGK, Underground Kingz
23. Spoon, Kill the Moonlight
22. Jamie Lidell, Multiply
21. Ghostface, Fishscale
20. Radiohead, In Rainbows
19. Dizzee Rascal, Boy in Da Corner
18. J Dilla, Donuts
17. The Streets, A Grand Don't Come for Free
16. R. Kelly, Double Up
15. Modest Mouse, Good News for People Who Love Bad News
14. Missy Elliott, Miss E ... So Addictive
13. The Hold Steady, Boys and Girls in America
12. Amadou & Miriam, Dimanche a Bamako
11. Justin Timberlake, FutureSex/LoveSounds
10. Clipse, Hell Hath No Fury
9. Gaslight Anthem, The '59 Sound
8. Lil Wayne, Da Drought 3
7. The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
6. Brad Paisley, American Saturday Night
5. Radiohead, Kid A
4. Kanye West, Graduation
3. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP
2. Outkast, Stankonia
1. Jay-Z, The Blueprint

3 comments:

Virtualsprite said...

Wow... I think I recognized three of these songs. I must be slipping in my NPR snobbery.

Happy new year, Rob!

Andy said...

Picking nits, but I'm almost positive "My Name Is" happened in 1998-1999, because I was a senior in high school when I first heard it.

Rob said...

Quite right. That is a lucky break for "All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem...