Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald




The latest of the books I have read into Laura's belly, to the evident delight of the baby, who squirms and kicks throughout reading time. He is right about this one: It is really good. I had not read it since high school, and it is fairly magnificent. It is also about a time in America when James Gatz from North Dakota could turn himself into the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby, a possibility that has come to seem remote to us today. Although, as American Lit. students will recall, even Gatsby did not ever quite succeed in turning himself into Gatsby. Thumbs up to this book from me and the baby, and from Laura, too, although she slept through a lot of it.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

Saxdrop said...

Next up: Gadsby, a story of over 50,000 words without using the letter "E."

http://bit.ly/4KpiJ

KT said...

Is it weird to say that I want to be the kind of parent I think you and Laura are going to be, once I'm there? I have always planned to read to my unborn babies and I loved this. Anyway. I'm really excited about your child! And The Great Gatsby really is good!

Rob said...

Not weird to me, I think it's a very nice thing to say. Thank you.